Media Project

The most significant thing that I learned through doing the media project is just how important it is to know your client, and to know them well. When I first found out that I had to make an intervention using tissue paper as the centerpiece, I thought there was no way. Once I read my client's case study though, I began to come up with many ideas that involved the tissue paper that were meaningful and purposeful for my client. I learned that trying to be an OT without knowing the client and what is important to them is non-existent if you want to make everything they do in therapy be meaningful to their occupational performance.

Through doing this project, I have learned the very important lesson of adaptability. I had to change up my intervention due to certain things that didn't work out with the original plan I had made. I became frustrated and upset because I thought my idea was so perfect for my client, and I didn't know how to change it to make it still work. Once I calmed down and really started to look into it, it became no problem to do a few things differently that still made the intervention purposeful and meaningful for my client. We've been taught adaptability in the classroom multiple times, but this was my first experience with it first-hand. I'm glad this assignment showed me that adaptability may be frustrating at times, but there's always another way for an occupational therapist.


Completing this assignment will most definitely impact my clinical skills in the future as a student and an OT one day. For me, the things that I used to make this intervention were things that i would probably never think to use, so as I further in my education and career, I will be more mindful of everyday, household objects that I could use as interventions. I'm already starting to look at the items that I see laying around the house as tools that could be used in therapy. This project was a very good learning experience for me, and it will be one that I will always remember.

Comments